The high-performance 645D medium-format digital SLR combines exceptional image quality with excellent maneuverability and outstanding reliability to make outdoor shooting effortless and comfortable for discerning photographers who demand nothing but the highest image quality.
Thanks to the incorporation of a large, high-performance image sensor (measuring 44mm by 33mm) and PENTAX-original image-processing technology, it produces extra-sharp, super-high-resolution images with approximately 40 effective megapixels. It features remarkable durability and dependability, thanks to its lightweight but solidly built body featuring a magnesium-steel-alloy frame, reinforced glass LCD panel protectors and a reliable dustproof, weather-resistant construction. In addition, it is designed to be compatible with the majority of the existing PENTAX 645 system, including the high-performance smc PENTAX 645 interchangeable lenses.
- The PENTAX 645D incorporates a high-performance 40 effective megapixel CCD image sensor, measuring 44mm by 33mm. It assures a wide dynamic range to faithfully reproduce the prevailing ambience and the sense of depth in super-high-resolution images that are rich in gradation and truthful in texture description.
- Thanks to its high-speed data-processing capacity and new algorithm exclusively programmed for medium-format digital SLR cameras, the PENTAX-original PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II imaging engine produces super-high-quality images rich in gradation and faithful in colour reproduction, while allowing speedy data transmission of large-volume image data.
- The high-performance 14-bit A/D converter faithfully converts the large volume of analog image data output by the large CCD image sensor to digital signals carrying an extensive amount of image data, including resolution and gradation.
- The sophisticated wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) assures the extra-high-precision focusing demanded of medium-format digital SLR cameras.
- 77-segment multi-pattern metering system assures super-high-accuracy light metering. The exposure accuracy is further enhanced by the collection of additional data such as image orientation (horizontal or vertical) and the distance to and magnification of the subject using the sensors installed inside the camera body, with the obtained data incorporated into exposure calculations.
- Versatile, multi-mode exposure system for faithful reproduction of creative intentions
- Hyper Program function
The PENTAX 645D’s Hyper Program function allows the photographer to instantly switch from Programmed AE mode to Shutter- or Aperture-Priority AE mode with a simple turn of the electric dials positioned around the grip.
- Hyper Manual function
When shooting in the Metered Manual mode, the PENTAX 645D’s Hyper Manual mode lets you instantly set the proper exposure for the subject with a single push of the green button.
- Sensitivity-Priority mode
The unique Sensitivity-Priority (Sv) mode automatically selects the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed for the user-selected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted swiftly by electronic dial on the back panel.
- Shutter/Aperture-Priority mode
Taking full advantage of the unique capability of digital cameras for the automatic shifting of sensitivity at any time, the Shutter/Aperture-Priority (TAv) mode automatically selects the most appropriate sensitivity for the user-selected aperture/shutter-speed combination.
- Hyper Program function
- The PENTAX 645D’s main frame is made of strong but lightweight magnesium-steel alloy. The chassis is made of diecast aluminum to minimize the expansion and extension caused by heat as well as to optimize kinematic accuracy and thermal stability. The LCD panels are covered with tempered glass plates for added protection. Thanks to the inclusion of 70 special seals in the body, it also boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation, even in harsh environments and at temperatures as low as -10°C.
- Dual slot SD/SDHC memory card support ensures fast and reliable storage for high resolution image files, simultaneously saving in multiple formats, assigning images to different cards based on their original format, or easily holding one memory card in reserve. The settings for each memory card slot can be easily made by dedicated button.
- All-glass, trapezoid pentaprism viewfinder with interchangeable focusing screens offers a 98% field of view viewing angle for accurate framing applications.
- Large, 3 inch LCD screen, with anti-reflective coating and reinforced glass surface, features 921,000 dots of resolution, wide angle viewing, and 32X image review magnification for easy on-camera image proofing.
- Custom Image function allows you to easily control an image’s finishing touches to more precisely reflect their creative intentions, or to more faithfully reproduce the ambience of the scene.
- An in-camera HDR image capture function blends 3 consecutive frames of varying exposures into a single, perfectly blended image, maximizing detail within all tonal ranges.
- Versatile white-balance control system, including the CTE mode designed to emphasize the dominant colour components of the captured images, which works especially well with such scenes as sunset.
- Lens Correction function automatically compensates for lateral chromatic aberration, as well as barrel and spool distortion common to wide angle lens photography, with select PENTAX 645 lenses.
- A Digital Level function displays the vertical and horizontal inclination of the camera, ensuring captured photos remain level to the horizon.
- Powered by a large-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can capture approximately 800 images* when fully charged.*Under testing conditions prescribed by PENTAX, when using a rechargeable D-LI90 lithium-ion battery with no flash.
Type TTL autofocus, auto-exposure medium format digital SLR camera Effective Pixels 40 megapixels Sensor CCD with primary colour filter
Size: 44mm x 33mm
Total Pixels: 40.01 megapixels
Dynamic Range 11.5 f-stops Recorded Pixels Still: JPEG: L[40M]7264x5440 pixels, M[32M]6528x4896 pixels
[21M]5376x4032 pixels, S[13M]4224x3168 pixels,
RAW: [40M]7264x5440 pixels
Sensitivity Auto:200-1000, Extended from 100 to 1600 (1,1/2 or 1/3EV steps) Recording Formats Still: RAW (PEF/DNG), JPEG (Conforms to Exif 2.21),
Conforms to DCF (Design rule of Camera File system) 2.0
Image Formats RAW (14 bit): PEF, DNG
JPEG: ★★★ Best, ★★ Better, ★Good
RAW + JPEG: available
Storage Media SD, SDHC memory card (Dual slot) Lens Mount PENTAX 645AF2 bayonet mount Usable Lens PENTAX 645AF2, 645AF, and 645A mount lenses Focusing System Type SAFOX IX+ TTL phase-matching 11 point autofocus system with indication in finder Focus Mode AF Single, AF Continuous Focus Point Auto,User-Selectable, Center Superimpose Available Exposure Control Metering System TTL open aperture, 77 segment metering Metering Modes (1) Multi-segment metering
(2) Center-weighted metering
(3) Spot metering
Metering Range EV 2-21 (at Standard Output Sensitivity 200 with 55mm F2.8) Exposure Modes Program, Sensitivity Priority, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Shutter & Aperture Priority, Manual, Bulb, Flash X-sync Speed Exposure Compensation ±5EV (1/3 steps) AE Lock Available Playback Modes Mode Selection: 1 Image, 2 Images, 4 Images, 9 Images, 16 Images, 36 Images, 81 Images, Enlargement (up to 32X, scroll available), Image Rotation, Folder view, Slideshow, Histogram, Resize, Cropping, Bright/Dark area, Calendar view, Index view Digital Filter Playback: Monochrome, Extract Colour, Colour, Base Tweaking, Soft
White Balance Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent Light ( D, N, W, L), Tungsten Light, Flash, CTE, Manual setting 1, Manual setting 2, Manual setting 3, Colour temperature setting (3 types) with WB fine adjustment Custom Image Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Reversal Film, Monochrome Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter
Shutter Speed: Auto:1/4000 - 30 sec, Manual:1/4000 - 30 sec (1/3 EV steps or 1/2 EV steps), bulb
Drive Modes Mode selection: Single-frame, Continuous (Hi, Lo), Self-timer (12s, 2s), Remote control (0s, 3s ), Remote Continuous Shooting, Interval, Multiple Exposure, Exposure Bracketing, Extended Bracketing
Continuous shooting: approx. 1.1 fps on both Slot 1 and Slot 2
RAW(PEF)+JPEG(40M at ★★★): until approx. 13 fps
RAW(PEF): until approx. 13 fps,
RAW(DNG): until approx. 13 fps,
JPEG(40M at ★★★): until approx. 13 fps
Mirror Lock-up shooting: available by dedicated dial
Viewfinder Type: Trapezoid prism finder
Standard Focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte
Field of view: Approx. 98%
approx. 0.62 x (with D FA645 55mmF2.8 at infinity),
approx. 0.85 x (with FA645 75mmF2.8 at infinity)
Diopter adjustment: -3.5 - +2.0m-1
Depth of Field Preview Optical preview, Digital preview LCD Monitor 3.0” TFT colour LCD monitor with brightness/colour adjustment and AR coating, reinforced glass
Resolution: 921,000 dots
Wide angle viewable: Yes
Flash Synchronization Hot shoe, X-sync socket, sync-speed: 1/125 sec., P-TTL, high-speed-sync, wireless-sync with PENTAX dedicated external flash Dust Removal Type: DR II (ultrasonic vibration to low pass filter) with Dust Alert function Time World Time: 75 cities (28 time zones) Interfaces USB2.0 (Hi-Speed:mini B type), Video output (mini phone type), HDMI output (type C mini), DC input , Cable switch, X-sync socket Video Output NTSC, PAL Power Sources Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI90
Optional AC adapter also available.
Recordable images: approx. 800 (23°C) *, approx. 700 (0°C), approx. 650 (-10°C)
Playback time: approx. 440 minutes (23°C) *, approx. 400 minutes (0°C), approx. 380 minutes (-10°C)
* Tested in compliance with CIPA standard. Actual results may vary depending on shooting conditions/circumstances
Dimensions (W x H x D): 156(W) x 117(H) x 119(D)mm (6.1 x 4.6 x 4.7 inches) Weight Without battery or removable memory: 1400 g (49.4 oz.)
Loaded and ready: 1480 g (52.2 oz.) loaded and ready with battery and two SD memory cards
Model No. 30333
Model No. 30425
AF160FC Auto Macro Flash
Model No. 30477
AC Adapter Kit K-AC50U
Model No. 39364
Battery Charger Kit K-BC90U
Model No. 39835
Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-LI90
Model No. 39830
AF Framed Matte Focusing Screen DF-80
Model No. 38584
AF Cross-Lined Focusing Screen DG-80
Model No. 38582
AF Golden Section Matte Focusing Screen DK-80
Model No. 38583
Remote Control F
Model No. 37377
Waterproof Remote Control O-RC1
Model No. 39892
Cable Switch CS-205
Model No. 37248
What’s In the Box
- 645D Body
- AC Plug Cord
- Battery Charger
- Rechargeable L-ion Battery D-LI90
- USB Cable
- Large Eye Cup O-EC107
- Hot Shoe cover
- Body Mount Cap
- Software CD-ROM
- AF360FGZ Flash